Tuesday, February 28, 2012

potty training

The intrinsic approach to potty training: things to remember

When a child is showing signs of being uncomfortable when they have a dirty diaper it is time to potty train. This stage is different from child to child. If they do not care if they are dirty and are running around with no care of being stinky they are not ready to be potty trained.

It will be ineffective to sit the child on the potty and keep them there until they go. Adults can fell the urge to go potty around a half hour before they actually need to go. Children are very different. They can only feel that urge at the most, 5 MINUTES before they need to go. Their bladder is still developing.

When you are starting to potty train you lead by example. Here is how it would go:

Parent: (in a exaggerated, happy voice) "Ooooo, I need to go potty! I better hurry and get to the bathroom"
Now gallup to the bathroom quickly and sit on the toilet.
Parent: (in the same voice) "Oooooo that feels so good. I am so glad I made it to the toilet! Are my panties dry? Yes! My panties are dry! Yay! I feel so happy! Now I am going to wash my hands and get all the potty of my hands!"

The child will see it as a positive experience and want to be enthusiastic about going potty.

When you threaten or give treats, it does not allow the child receive personal gratification. It is a way to manipulate the child in doing something and does not allow them to enjoy the learning process.

You can include the father and siblings in this exercise also.






No comments:

Post a Comment

a place to store quotes, videos, and essays on motivation and management for future use as a parent and a teacher.